It’s been a long month. 14 days with a imminent federal quarantine-threat just spent adjusting ourselves with the new routine while trying to make sense to what the news say. We are induced and advised to stay at home for an unpredictable amount of time and practice social distance for the sake of ourselves and others. We are on a war against a virus with the name Corona that means crown of which we never heard about before except from advertised house disinfectant labels. So let’ stay home and do what’s right. The most important aspect of this forced self-care though, is to make sure that our immune system is strong enough to fight the war against the Virus. Apart form plenty of sleep , mindfulness practice, exercise a healthy nutrition if you can afford it, is a primordial factor . Based on the ancient teaching of the Zohar, the ancient teaching of Kabbalah, I have decided to create a dish with spices and ingredient known throughout centuries to be powerful boosters of our immune system.
- Cinnamon : Lowers Blood Sugar Levels and Has a Powerful Anti-Diabetic Effect.Consuming honey and cinnamon on a regular basis can boost your immune system and protect you from foreign bacteria and viruses. It can help to improve the digestive system and fight various stomach related ailments.
- Cloves have been shown to have antimicrobial property , meaning they can help stop the growth of microorganisms like bacteria
- Ginger: People typically use fresh or dried ginger in cooking, and some take ginger supplements for their possible health benefits. Antioxidants and other nutrients in ginger may help prevent or treat arthritis, inflammation, and various types of infection. Researchers have also studied its potential to reduce the risk of diabetes, cancer, and other health problems. It will help with cold ,flu and pain.
- Caradamon : It comes from the seeds of several different plants that belong to the same family as ginger. It has a distinctive flavor that complements both sweet and savory dishes. People may use cardamom seeds and pods in curries, desserts, and meat dishes, as well as in beverages, such as coffee and chai tea. It has Antimicrobial ability
- Star Anis :The oil produced from star anise contains thymol, terpineol and anethole, which is used for treating cough and flu. Anise also helps improve digestion, alleviate cramps and reduce nausea. Consuming star anise tea after meals helps treat digestive ailments such as bloating, gas, indigestion and constipation
- Mustard seeds also contain calcium, dietary fiber, iron, manganese, magnesium, niacin, phosphorus, protein, zinc, and selenium—a trace mineral that is an antioxidant that may offer protection against asthma, heart attacks, and some cancers.
- Turmeric : Reduce the number of heart attacks bypass patients had after surgery Control knee pain from osteoarthritis as well as ibuprofen did. Reduce the skin irritation that often occurs after radiation treatments for breast cancer. Other preliminary studies in people have looked at curcumin, a type of curcuminoid, for different cancers, colitis, diabetes, surgical pain, and as an ingredient in mouthwash for reducing plaque. The National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) has studied curcumin for Alzheimer’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and prostate and colon cancer.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- Salt (optional) and pepper
- 3 sliced large onions
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon cardamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon star anis
- ½ teaspoon peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 sliced unpeeled tangerines ( mandarins or oranges will do too)
- 2 sliced unpeeled lemon with
- 1 small cup of Arak
- Fresh fennel herb garnish (optional)
- ½ cup of lemon juice
- Turmeric rice or couscous for serving
The first step is to have all your ingredients together especially the spices and ready before you start cooking and make sure your stove is set in Broil or Grill.
1 Wash the chicken in cold water and drain. Arrange chicken skin-side up bone or boneless in an olive oil sprayed pyrex.
2 Pour the honey evenly until in both chicken sides for complete absorption. It will act as a ” glue” to the spices.
3. Sprinkle the chicken with salt (if desired), and all spices , mix with your well washed washed hands.
4. Add the onions and sliced lemon and tangerines.
5. Pour arak evenly then add the lemon juice. ( You can later add some chicken broth if you find it’s too dry)
6. Place the pyrex in the oven close to the flames and keep an eye on the kitchen during 5 minutes while occasionally basting the tops or skin with the pyrex juices until the top of the chicken are nicely charred and the fruit turn into a golden brown . Change the oven settings to Bake. Flip the Side of the chicken.
7. Cover with an aluminum foil and bake for another 90 minuets at 350 Fahrenheit flipping back the sides once more after 45 minutes until cooked. ( While cooking , you should be smelling the aroma of the spices all over your kitchen)
8. Place the chicken skins up on a serving plate with the fruits on top . Top with parsley (if desired) and serve with Tumeric rice or couscous.